Strengthening and Conditioning Torture

10 November 2009

Well today was my first "Strengthening and Conditioning set" and OMG how hard was it.....especially the planks - I admit it I am a weakling in my core muscle dept.... completed it though :-)


1. Warm-up 10 minutes cycling

2. Squat
Explosive UPWARD phase
Slow controlled DOWNWARD phase
Maximal knee angle should reflect maximal knee angle when cycling (~100 degrees)

3. Sissors
Contract your lower abdominals
Maintain your spinal alignment as you alternately lift one leg up to table top (90 degrees) and back down.
2 x 15 reps.

4. Dips
Elbows never higher than shoulders
Control the downward movement
Push up fast squeezing through your triceps
2 sets to fatigue.

5. Lunges
Explosive UPWARD phase
Slow controlled DOWNWARD phase
Maximal knee angle should reflect maximal knee angle when cycling (~100 degrees)

6. Step up
Step large enough to create desired knee angle
Place foot on step
Add dumbbells or barbell as able
As above - slow down fast up.

7. Front and side plank
Engage your core muscles and hold each position for 30 seconds x 3

8. Press-ups
2 x to fatigue.
Set 1 Narrow
Set 2 Wide

9. Cycling
10mins cycling 75% HRmax at 100-110 RPM


Squats - easy with no weight - will add a barbell next time
Scissors - OW! really hard at top of the quads but completed
Dips - set 1 30 dips and set 2 20 dips
Lunges - hard but good (assuming I did them right)
Step up - used 2x 17.5kg dumbbells found it hard in last 5 (I counted one step as a step up with right then left leg leading)
Planks - the single most difficult thing....I was shaking by 30 sec but I completed them (I put 30sec rest between efforts)
Press Ups - narrow 20 completed/wide 16 completed
Cycling - I ran out of time so had to reduce it to 10mins (from 15mins)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

3d tags

Flash Labels by YWW

Follow me

Follow isainsbury on Twitter

Blogroll