So...where are we 14 days out....

21 August 2011

So......after a weekend of testing myself in my race kit - will all the trimmings including the pointy wizard hat (my Lazer Tardiz helmet) how do I feel?
 
Swim (yesterday)

Felt really good – smooth flowing and fast. I lost my pace a little in the middle but it all came together at the end – happy with 23:08 for the 1500m as that was in pretty weed infested water with noone else to pace me :-)



Bike

WooHoo!!! an average of >30kph!!! First time I have ever managed it and that was including traffic and traffic lights in Cambridge!! Everything worked well (although I do need to reindex the gears and probably change my chain – it is a little short now (going from a compact to a full size...)), the nutrition side of things was good however I am seriously pondering just using bottles on the race as I seem to take in air as well as fluid when using the straw....hmm...I can carry 3x bottles on my frame (2 in my Xlab wing and 1 on the frame itself), 1 will be for gels but that leaves 2 – will it be enough for a 70.3, not sure 1550ml??? (plus I would be able to pick up extra water (but not nuun) en route at the aid stations if needed...

Anyway physically it felt good - knees and ankles all okay. The hills were hard seated - I didn't stand once on them :-) but my knees did not feel like they were going to explode which is good!



Run

Not quite as positive...good things first:

Pace was good off the bike, and I didn't feel rubbish off the bike, I felt fresh! I kept a good pace throughout (6:00-6:30) and ankles were totally fine

However....bad things:

My knee started to ache and get sore at about 7.5km so I cut the run rather than push it. Also I tried the same formula with gels as I do on the bike (50ml water+gel in a bottle) and I felt fine GI wise before taking any gel on but felt ropey after (about 1/2 a gell (by vol))...I think coke/water on the run may be the way forward...



and finally – I am tired!! This week will either be a hard week or a gradual taper depending on what my coach says....and then at the end of the week I head out to Galway to prep for the race! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

3d tags

Flash Labels by YWW

Follow me

Follow isainsbury on Twitter

Blogroll