Swimming and the impact of a two week layoff....

15 March 2011

So following my VO2max on Sunday yesterday was a 30min run @ 6:10/km pace (2hr 1/2 marathon pace), the legs did not want to run....but I still managed to keep the to the target pace (in fact towards the end it was becoming easy!).

Swimming this morning was a mixed bag....the set was:
400 (100 Swim, 100 pull, repeat) - easy
DR1: (6 x 75 as: 50 DR into 25 Swim 3,5,5 breathing -ALL PULLING)
1) 3/4 catch-up
2) Single Arm
3) 3/4 catch up
4) Fists
5) 3/4 catch up
6) swim - best stroke count
MS: 4 x 400
*(85% TEMPO, comfortably hard) - Keep form. Consistent spilts are the GOAL! 30s rest b/t reps
CD: 50 Easy - put stroke back together, finish with good form.

Not sure what happened - warm up and drills good but it all fell apart the 4x400s ranged from 5:48 to 6:05 no consistency, the first one felt really easy (5:48) and I could not slow down it just felt good, number two and three (5:54, 6:01) were both okay but gradually harder and by number 4 I was gone (6:05) breathing was off (inhaled water – I never do that), turns were sloppy and my stroke was falling apart.....I am guessing it is the lack of swimming for nearly two weeks that has blunted my longer distance endurance....ho hum....at least on the positive side I finally built my single speed bike (42/18 gearing - see the previous post) so I will be using that a lot more for chores and maybe a couple of training rides – just to make my one local hill a little harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

3d tags

Flash Labels by YWW

Follow me

Follow isainsbury on Twitter

Blogroll